Christmas Day, 1835, at the home of Mrs. Samuel Brooks, the decision was made to form the Sherbrooke Congregational Church. Twenty-seven people covenanted together on Sunday, December 29, 1835.
The first deacons were Alba Brown, David Mitchell and Samuel L. Norriss. They met together in a schoolhouse on Wellington Street.
A church was built on Factory Street in 1838 (Now Frontenac Street, site of the former St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church).
The Sherbrooke Congregational Church moved to their second church building, at the present site, 380 Dufferin. Architect William Footner designed the building in Greek Revival neo-classical style; it is the best current example of this style in Canada.
Their name was changed to Plymouth Congregational Church in honour of the Pilgrim Fathers who landed at Plymouth Rock, Massachussets on December 21, 1620.
During this time, Plymouth Hall was added to the first church building.
Sunday school rooms were added.
The Sherbrooke YMCA was organized by members of Plymouth Church.
The present pews replaced older-style colonial pews. The original center aisle was replaced by two aisles. (The photo below also shows more recent modifications, such as the Casavant organ from 1908).
The Casavant organ was installed on February 08, 1908 with 3 manuals, 28 stops and 1,200 pipes, at a cost of $3,685.
Plymouth Congregational Church obtained an Act of Incorporation from the Provincial Legislature. The old Union Cemetery on Belvedere South was sold and 895 bodies were reinterred at Elmwood Cemetery.
$3000 was raised in a single offering for a motor ambulance in the First World War.
The Sherbrooke Rotary Club was organized with Dr. Read as charter president.
Formation, Nationwide, of the United Church of Canada
Plymouth Congregational Church unanimously voted to become Plymouth United Church.
4th of Advent
Bilingual service at 10:30 with Holy Communion.
Culte bilingue avec communion à 10 h 30.
Join us at Plymouth-Trinity for a family-friendly worship experience. We have a children's corner in the sanctuary with craft supplies and helpful volunteers. Some Sundays there is also a 30-minute children's programme during worship-time for kids of all ages.